In this blog, we will see a brief about APNs Certificate – VMware AirWatch.
Apple Push Notification service (APNs) is the centerpiece of the remote notifications feature. It is used to allow AirWatch to securely communicate to the smart device fleet over-the-air. AirWatch uses the APNs certificate to send notifications to devices when the Administrator requests information or during a defined monitoring schedule. No data is sent through the APNs server, only the notification.
How to Generate an APN certificate for MDM:
Generating APN certificates involves four steps process.
- Download the AirWatch-signed CSR from the AirWatch Admin Console.
- Upload the AirWatch-signed CSR to the Apple Push Certificate Portal.
- Download the Apple-signed certificate (.pem) from the Apple Push Certificate Portal.
- Upload the APNs Certificate into AirWatch.
Below are the requirements:
- Mac or windows workstation with admin permission.
- Use Safari, Firefox, or Chrome web browser
Note: IE is not supported.
Generating an APNs Certificate:
IMPORTANT: To perform this task, ensure your AirWatch Admin Account has access to the highest AirWatch Organization Group. The best practice is to complete the process at the Customer Organization Group level. If your Admin Account does not have access to the highest Organization Group, you may not be able to access the necessary settings.
Downloading the AirWatch-Signed CSR from the AirWatch Admin Console:
- Navigate to Groups & Settings ► All Settings ► Devices & Users ► Apple ► APNs For MDM
- Click Generate New Certificate.
- Follow the prompts on the screen and the select the links to view the instructions and download the AirWatch Certificate request. When finished, click Go To Apple.
- Uploading the AirWatch-Signed CSR to the Apple Push Certificate Portal
- Sign into the Apple Push Certificates Portal website using a valid Apple ID and password. If the Go To Apple button fails to direct you to the portal, open a new tab and navigate
If the Go To Apple button fails to direct you to the portal, open a new tab and navigate to https://identity.apple.com/pushcert/
- Sign in using a valid Apple ID and password.
- Click Create a Certificate.
- Select the I have read and agree to these terms and conditions checkbox.
- Click Accept.
- Click Choose File and navigate to the AirWatch-signed CSR downloaded from the AirWatch Console. Look for the certificate named: MDM_APNsRequest.plist.
- Click Upload. A new certificate for AirWatch MDM displays.
- Click Download and save the Apple-signed certificate to an accessible location.
Note: The document must be in .pem file format.
Uploading the APNs Certificate to AirWatch:
- Return to the AirWatch Admin Console and click Next.
- Upload the Apple-signed certificate to AirWatch that was recently downloaded (.pem file).
- Enter the Apple ID used to sign into the Apple Push Certificates Portal website previously.
- Click Next.
- Verify details on the Summary Page.
Note: When generating and renewing at a top-level Organization Group, set child groups to inherit or override settings.
- Click Save.
You are done!!!
I hope this is informative for you. Thanks for Reading!!!. Be Social and share it in social media, if you feel worth sharing it.