The VMware ESXi Host Client is an HTML5-based client that is used to connect and manage single ESXi host. This can be used to perform administrative tasks to manage host resources such as virtual machines, networking, and storage. The VMware Host Client can also be helpful for troubleshooting individual virtual machines or hosts if vCenter Server and the vSphere c# Client are unavailable.
The ESXi Host Client is part of ESXi 6.0 Update 2 now. No need to do any manual installation. It’s embedded into the Installation ISO.
Here is a list of some of the supported operations in this first release:
- VM operations (power on, off, reset, suspend, etc.)
- Creating a new VM, from scratch or from OVF/OVA (limited OVA support)
- Configuring NTP on a host
- Displaying summaries, events, tasks and notifications/alerts
- Providing a console to VMs
- Configuring host networking
- Configuring host advanced settings
- Configuring host services
- License management
The easiest way to install a VIB is to download it directly on the ESXi host. Alternatively, you can download it to your local machine and use scp to push it to your ESXi Host.
- Go to https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client
- Download > esxui-signed-3976049.vib
- Launch WinSCP and connect to the ESXi host.
- Create a new folder or just move the vib to TEMP folder on the host.
- Once the file has moved, SSH into the Host using putty.
- Execute the below command.
esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/esxui.vib
Once the VIB is installed, which does not require a system reboot, you simply just point your web browser to the following URL: https://[ESXI-HOST]/ui and login with an administrator account.
Here is the Initial prototype:
To uninstall the ESXi Host Client, just execute the below command.
esxcli software vib remove -n esx-ui
We are done!!
I hope this is informative for you. Thanks for Reading!!!. Be Social and share it in social media, if you feel worth sharing it.